Saturday, June 23, 2012

135 greatest proto-punk songs, part 1

Yep, as you can guess, this is going to be an EPIC post. Some of you may know that I co-host a show on WIDR FM called Society's Fault, where we do segments on proto-punk, punk, and post-punk. Between that and the Obscuro! radio program I did a while back, I'm pretty sure I've uncovered ALL the proto-punk there is to hear. I'm not bragging; it's pretty depressing, actually. Where do I go from here? Welllllll, organization and sharing, of course! So here's the first installment of the 135 Greatest Proto-Punk Songs of All Time. Why 135? Because I was aiming for 100 and went way over.

I'm going to try splitting them up in a coherent manner, but we'll see how that goes. I'm calling this first installment 'Speed,' because these are all artists who notoriously did a lot of amphetamines. Maybe that influenced their music, maybe not, but the groups in question tend to be louder and faster than the average 60's/70's fare.

135 GREATEST VOL. 1 - Speed
1. Mad River - Amphetamine Gazelle
2. Pink Fairies - Do It
3. Pere Ubu - Life Stinks
4. The Monks - I Hate You
5. The Sonics - Strychnine
6. Wicked Lady - Sin City
7. Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog
8. Sleepy Sleepers - Liuskis Layskis Lepakko
9. Rocket from the Tombs - Ain't It Fun
10. The Who - My Generation
11. Edgar Broughton Band - Why Can't Somebody Love Me
12. Blue Cheer - Parchment Farm
13. Destroy All Monsters - Vampire
14. Three Souls in My Mind - Amphetamine
15. Mahogany Brain - Silkskin Dawn
16. The Elastik Band - Spazz
17. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
18. The Deviants - I'm Coming Home
19. Runaways - Cherry Bomb
20. MC5 - Kick Out the Jams
21. Raven - Raven Mad Jam
22. New York Dolls - Frankenstein
23. Hawkwind - Time We Left This World
24. Groundhogs - Junkman
25. Hot Poop - Always Play with My Food
26. Night Sun - Plastic Shotgun
27. Velvet Underground - Sister Ray

***RE-UPLOADED 5/24/14***

DOWNLOAD

NOTES:
So, there are obviously some pretty well-known tracks in here, but also hopefully some shit you've never heard. I couldn't rightly create a 'greatest proto-punk' list without the Stooges or the Who, and I was going to arrange them by well-known and lesser-known, but this seems better to me. Some notorious speed users are the Pink Fairies/Deviants crew, Rocket from the Tombs, Sabbath, The Monks and VU, but then there are some guesses on my part. I would be very surprised, however, if the Elastik Band and Night Sun tracks weren't speed-influenced. And yes, you can debate some of these choices...

No comments: