Sunday, June 24, 2012

135 greatest proto-punk songs, part 3

...should be able to finish up this mega-post today since I have fuck-all to do at work. Here's the third 27-song installment of the 135 greatest proto-punk songs (according to me.)
part 1

part 2

This one's kinda similar to the 'speed' post, except these bands' abrasive and uncompromising sounds were influenced more by anger than drugs...hence the title.

135 GREATEST VOL. 3 - Anger
1. Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put a Spell on You
2. Big Star - Thank You Friends
3. Michael Yonkers Band - Boy in the Sandbox
4. Rotomagus - Fightin' Cock
5. Bob Thompson and Doug Snyder - Hit and Run
6. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Trouble Every Day
7. The Fugs - CIA Man
8. Question Mark and the Mysterians - 96 Tears
9. electric eels - Accident
10. The Kinks - Brainwashed
11. Nihilist Spasm Band - Destroy the Nations
12. Death - Keep On Knocking
13. The Dogs - X-Ray Me, Baby
14. Love - Seven and Seven Is
15. Memphis Goons - Indian Giver
16. The Beatles - Helter Skelter
17. Saint Anthony's Fyre - Get Off
18. The Phantom - Love Me
19. David Peel and the Lower East Side - Here Comes a Cop
20. Crushed Butler - It's My Life
21. Oliver - Cat and the Rat
22. Simply Saucer - Bullet Proof Nothing
23. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Commotion
24. Ozzie - I'm So Stupid
25. Roger Rubin and Rotfree Anderson - Tribute to Hypocrites
26. Chico Magnetic Band - Cross Town Traffic
27. Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen

***RE-UPLOADED 5/24/14***

DOWNLOAD

NOTES:
Another nice mix of the standards (Jay Hawkins, Kinks, Alice Cooper) and the oddball shit (Ozzie, Roger Rubin, Chico Magnetic). Some people might have some qualms with my inclusion of 'Helter Skelter,' which I guess is more proto-metal than anything, but I dare you to find a John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band song that's better than this one. Also, if you don't see that Creedence is proto-punk, then I guess the Minutemen aren't punk. Something interesting is that the Bob Thompson and Doug Snyder album was recorded immediately after the two saw the Stooges play live.

2 comments:

William K said...

How about 'don't worry, kyoko' for the Plastic Ono Band? Fantastic comps, shame they've been deleted!

Bizarro Jerry said...

shoot me an email, whimperwarrior@gmail.com, and I will try to remember to send you links.